Machine of the Month - A1 Hip Extension
Keep Your Hips Strong with the A1
The A1, or hip extension, isolates and strengthens the glutes, hamstrings and lower back – however an emphasis should normally be placed on the glutes for this exercise (seek advice from your instructor).
Everyday activities, such as walking, going up stairs and running all involve hip extension movements, therefore the A1 is extremely relevant for our everyday lives.
Due to the fact that many of us are seated for extended periods throughout the day, whether it be because of our job or everyday life, it is important to perform hip extension exercises such as the A1 to keep our hips strong.
Important Technique Points
- Your knees should be bent throughout the entirety of the exercise
- Ensure you keep your legs parallel to one another
- Remember to avoid arching your back and to use your glutes to perform the movement
- Ensure that your arms are straight and you grip the handholds loosely during the exercise
- Make sure that your hips and shoulders are not twisted. The hips and shoulders should not move on the pads throughout the exercise