Machine of the Month - C3 torso arm
Keep Your Back and Arms Strong with the C3
The C3, or torso arm, isolates and strengthens the latissimus dorsi and lower trapezius muscles of the upper back and the bicep brachii muscle of the arms.
The C3 is a multi-joint exercise that incorporates adduction at the shoulder and flexion at the elbow. The C3 exercise uses similar muscle groups to the J3, or parallel chinup. A benefit of the C3 is that it is suitable to all levels of strength.
Training on the C3 can help to improve posture and reduce shoulder pain. When used correctly, these muscles are used in pulling yourself up in activities such as waterskiing, wakeboarding or windsurfing.
Important Technique Points
- Ensure that your hips are all the way to the back of the seat
- Keep your upper body straight and leaning slightly forward from the hips
- Make sure your elbows are pointing outwards throughout the movement and to pull down until you reach your end position
- Remember to keep your wrists straight
- Be sure that your shoulders stay down while your arms are extended
- Keep your head in a neutral position
If you would like to add the C3 to your training program, be sure to talk to an instructor.