Machine of the Month - A2 Torso Flexion
The A2, or torso flexion, isolates and strengthens the straight abdominals muscles and hip flexors.
The A2 is a great addition to a training program as it works to strengthen the core. A strong core can help you perform a number of everyday activities such as walking, running, standing or sitting at a computer.
While the F2 machine focusses more on the upper and middle abdominals, the A2 targets your lower abdominal muscles. If you are looking for an alternative to the F2 or find that you are plateauing on the F2, ask your Exercise Scientist about adding in the A2.
Important Technique Points
- Ensure that the thigh roller is as high up to the base of the glutes as possible.
- Remember to keep a restricted range of movement as advised by your Exercise Scientist. If your range is too large, you will not be isolating the targeted muscle groups
- Be sure to keep your shoulders relaxed and do not tense your arms during the exercise.
- Keep your legs hip width apart throughout the exercise.
- Keep your head in a neutral position on the pillow and ensure you keep your torso centered.
Replicating the A2 at home
If you are unable to come into a Kieser centre, you can replicate the A2 exercise at home with the double leg lower.
To perform the double leg lower:
- Start lying on your back with your knees and hips bent to 90 degrees
- Draw in your belly button to set lower abdominals
- Slowly lower both legs away from body maintaining abdominal setting
- The exercise becomes harder when the legs are lowered